This is the course webpage for Math 113-006 (abstract algebra), Fall 2015, taught by Kelli
Tuesdays and Thursdays, 11am-12:30pm, 310 Hearst Mining
Kelli, 785 Evans: Tuesdays 1:30-2:30pm and 9-10pm, Thursdays 2-3pm
Shelly Manber (113 GSI), 1043 Evans: Mondays 2-4pm, Tuesdays 2-4pm, Wednesdays 10am-noon, Thursdays 1:30-3:30pm, and Fridays 2-4pm
Midterm: Tuesday, October 13, in class, usual room
Final exam: Wednesday, December 16, 8-11am, 213 Wheeler
Important documents and links:
- Piazza Q&A. Everyone who is registered for my class as of August 27 should already be added to the Piazza site, but you may need to activate your account if you have not used Piazza before.
- Homework cover sheet
- Homework guidelines -- please read before turning in any homework!
- Quiz guidelines -- what to expect on regular quizzes.
- Handout on dihedral groups notation.
- Review Practice Problems: 1, 2, and 3.
(The paper copies handed out on Tuesday, November 24 have some corrections/omissions.)
- Mega Review Summary -- has detailed notes on what to review in all sections we have covered (including reminders about portions of sections we intentionally skipped).
Reading assignments (read before class on the date listed):
You may wish to complete the straightforward computation problems from the book to check your understanding as you read.
- Last week -- Rubik's cube group exploration.
- Tuesday, November 24 -- Field extension review.
- Thursday, November 19 -- Section 31.
- Tuesday, November 17 -- More Section 29, plus Section 30.
- Thursday, November 12 -- Section 29.
- Tuesday, November 10 -- More Section 27.
- Thursday, November 5 -- Section 27.
- Tuesday, November 3 -- Section 26 (skip 24, 25).
- Thursday, October 29 -- Section 23.
- Tuesday, October 27 -- Section 22 (skip 21).
- Thursday, October 22 -- Section 20.
- Tuesday, October 20 -- Section 19.
- Thursday, October 15 -- Section 18 (note we require rings to have unity, as part of the definition).
- Tuesday, October 13 -- no reading due, midterm day.
- Thursday, October 8 -- no reading due, review day.
- Tuesday, October 6 -- Section 15.
- Thursday, October 1 -- Section 14.
- Tuesday, September 29 -- Section 13 (skip 12).
- Thursday, September 24 -- Section 11.
- Tuesday, September 22 -- Section 10.
- Thursday, September 17 -- Section 9.
- Tuesday, September 15 -- Section 8 (skip 7). Don't think too hard about the Dn notation in the book -- I'll have a handout with better notation in class.
- Thursday, September 10 -- Section 6.
- Tuesday, September 8 -- Section 5.
- Thursday, September 3 -- Section 4.
- Tuesday, September 1 -- Section 1 and Section 3.
- Thursday, August 27 -- Section 0 and Section 2.
Quizzes (usually Thursdays in class):
Quizzes and solutions will be posted here after we take them in class.
Homework (usually due Thursdays at the beginning of class):
Be sure you read the homework guidelines and fill out your cover sheet. Having homework graded is a privilege, and you must make it easy for the grader to read your work. Also, make sure you begin early enough to get help in my office hours if necessary.
Exams from previous semesters:
Previous semesters were not on exactly the same time schedule, so these might not line up precisely for us, but they can give you a reasonable idea of my style. Beware, there may be a few errors in the solutions; feel free to discuss on Piazza.