Math H54 - Honors Linear Algebra and Differential Equations
Lectures: TuTh 11am-12:30pm, Room 7 Evans Hall
Discussion section: MWF 8-9am, Room 3 Evans Hall
Course Control Number: 54717
Office: 771 Evans
Phone: (510) 642-4318
Office Hours: W 11am-12:30pm
GSI: Jiangang Yao
Office: 1039 Evans
Office Hours: M 4-5pm and Th 1-2pm
Mailbox: 940 Evans
Prerequisites: Math 1B
Syllabus: Honors version of Math 54. The course has two
Part I: Linear algebra. Vectors; matrices; solving linear
equations. Invertible matrices; determinants. Vector
spaces, bases, dimension and rank. Inner product spaces,
orthogonality, least-squares approximation. Eigenvalues and
eigenvectors; linear transformations.
Part II: Differential equations. Review of linear
ordinary differential equations in one variable. Systems of
linear differential equations; solution of systems with constant
coefficients. Introduction to Fourier series with applications
to partial differential equations.
- Hill, Elementary Linear Algebra (3rd Ed.)
- Boyce and DiPrima, Elementary Differential Equations and Boundary
Value Problems (7th Ed.)
Homework, exams and grading policy: Weekly homework
assignments posted on the course web page and due in discussion
section on Fridays (or in the GSI's mailbox by noon Friday).
Each homework set will contain some straightforward exercises, to
check your understanding of the basic subject matter, and some more
challenging problems, requiring a measure of creativity to solve.
Homework ground rules: feel free to discuss the homework problems and
your ideas for solutions with other students. However, if you
work together with others, each of you must write up your solutions
independently, without copying from solutions worked out jointly.
Percentage contribution of homework and exams to the overall course
grade will be Homework 20%, Midterm exams 20% each, Final exam 40%.
- 1st Midterm Exam: Tues, Feb. 24
- 2nd Midterm Exam: Tues, Apr. 13
- Final Exam: Wednesday, May 19, 8:00-11:00am (exam group 12), Room
(in PDF format; be sure your web browser has a PDF viewer such as
Adobe Acrobat available)
I'll hold my usual office hour Wed, May 12, and I'll try to be
available on Monday, May 17 also.
- Assignment 1, due Friday, Jan. 30.
- Assignment 2, due Friday, Feb. 6.
- Assignment 3, due Friday, Feb. 13.
- Starting Tues., Feb. 10, Math H54 lecture moves to room 7
- The class will not meet on Thurs., Feb. 12
- Assignment 4, due Friday, Feb. 20.
Corrected Problem A to refer to section 2.4, Ex. 22. Solutions
- Midterm 1 is Tuesday, Feb. 24 in class. Here are some review problems, with solutions. Jiangang will hold a review
session Sunday, Feb. 22, 3-5pm, Room 31 Evans Hall.
- Exam 1 Solutions
- Assignment 5, due Friday, March 5.
- Assignment 6, due Friday, March 12.
- Assignment 7, due Friday, March 19.
- Assignment 8, due Friday, April 2.
- Assignment 9, due Friday, April 9.
- Midterm 2 is Tuesday, April 13, in class. Jiangang will
hold a review session Sunday, April 11, 3-5 pm in 5 Evans Hall.
Here are review problems, with solutions.
- Exam 2 Solutions
- In the lecture on Thursday, April 15, we'll discuss the use of
orthogonal polynomials to compute polynomial approximations to general
functions. Here is an interesting example.
- Assignment 10, due Friday, April
- Assignment 11, due Friday, April
- Assignment 12, due Monday, May
10. Note: Problem A was not stated correctly, fixed now. If
you downloaded the assignment before Thursday afternoon (May 6),
please fetch it again. Solutions
- Final exam is Wed., May 19, 8-11am in Room 110 Wheeler. Jiangang
will hold a review session Saturday, May 15, 7-9pm in Room 31 Evans.
Here are some review problems, with solutions.
- Final exam solutions
Jiangang's office hours for finals week:
Tu, W 5-6pm 818 Evans see Han Fei
Th, F 5-6pm 1039 Evans
Tu(May 18) 4-6pm 818 See Han Fei
[Top of page |Prof. Haiman's