These pages describe our undergraduate program in Mathematics.
- Minoring in Math is a list of required courses and how to declare.
- Majoring in Math is a short but fairly detailed description of our program.
- Major in Mathematics is a list of required courses for the pure mathematics major.
- Major in Applied Mathematics is a list of required courses for the applied mathematics major.
- Major with a Teaching Concentration is a list of required courses for the mathematics with teaching concentration major.
Other opportunities for involvement with mathematics are
- MUSA, the Mathematics Undergraduate Student Association;
- WIM, a network of undergraduate Women In Math at Cal;
- The Putnam Competition, a nationwide mathematics competition.
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Fall 2022 Math Requirements & L&S Grading Option Policy Modification
In light of the College of Letters and Science’s recent extension of the Pass/No Pass late change of class schedule deadline to 11:59 p.m. PT this Sunday, December 11, 2022, the Math Department is adjusting its policies for the Fall 2022 semester. Please see the full announcement here.
Quantitative Reasoning Exam
The Quantitative Reasoning (QR) Exam is typically given the first week of instruction of each semester. For Spring 2024, the QR exam will be held remotely on January 9, 2024 from 5:00-6:30pm. The Quantitative Reasoning Exam is a university requirement and is designed to ensure that students graduate with basic understanding and competency in; mathematics, statistics, or computer science. The requirement may be satisfied by exam or by taking an approved course. Course work used to satisfy Quantitative Reasoning must be completed with a letter grade of C- or higher. To register for the exam, please click here.
You can find additional details as well as study materials on our website. For questions, please contact the Undergraduate Advising Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include "Quantitative Reasoning" or "QR Exam" in the subject line.
Undergraduate Math & Applied Math Major Mailing List & Ed Discussion Group
Any undergraduate student majoring or intending to major in Math or Applied Math may request to join our community mailing list. You must use your @berkeley.edu to be approved for the Math-UG Community mailing list.
A separate mailing list is also maintained just for Math & Applied Math Majors and Minors.
Students can join our Mathematics Ed Discussion Community.
Undergraduate Research Opportunities, Resources, and Support
Learn more about undergraduate research opportunities, resources, and support.