Thank you for your interest in the Mathematics M.A. Please note that the M.A. application is only available to current Ph.D. students at UC Berkeley interested in a simultaneous M.A. in Mathematics. There is no external, terminal program for the M.A. degree. We do not accept applications from anyone who is not a current Ph.D. student at UC Berkeley.
The Graduate Division's Online Application will be available in early September here. We expect to make final decisions by mid-April.
First-year Ph.D. students are not eligible to apply. Students with an M.A. in Mathematics from another institution will not be permitted to obtain a second M.A. in Mathematics from UC Berkeley.
Other requirements for the program are the following:
- Applicants are required to have a 3.5 cumulative graduate GPA
- Applicants should submit one letter of recommendation from any faculty member in their home department
- Applicants should identify a faculty advisor in the Math Department who is willing to be their M.A. Advisor
- Applicants should submit a Mathematics M.A. study plan signed by their prospective M.A. Advisor — see the following attachment
- 20 units of coursework and a capstone thesis
- Maintain at least a B average in courses taken for the M.A.
- A maximum of 8 units may be used toward both your Ph.D./D.E. and the M.A. in Mathematics
- No more than 1/3 of all units taken for the M.A. should be taken as Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory
- The M.A. degree must be completed prior to or at the same time as the Ph.D. — the M.A. degree cannot be completed after the Ph.D. is conferred