Course Equivalency

Course Equivalency Instructions

For Non-U.C. Berkeley Lower-Division Mathematics Courses 

Review of lower-division Math courses taken at California Community Colleges

Students who have taken lower-division Math courses at California community colleges should use to determine the equivalency of their courses to UC Berkeley's lower-division Math courses.

Review of lower-division Math courses at other 4-year colleges or at Community Colleges Outside of California

These instructions are for students who have taken lower-division Math courses at other 4-year colleges or at Community colleges outside of California and who 1) are intending to major in Math/Applied Math or 2) who have been asked by their intended major departments to see the Math Department for a course equivalency determination. (Note that the Admissions office determines unit transferability for non-Berkeley courses.)

Please note that course equivalency is determined only while classes are in session and regular office hours held—not during exams, winter break, or before Summer Session C begins. The Fall 2023 review period will will run from August 23, 2023 - December 1, 2023. The Spring 2024 review period will run from January 16, 2024 - April 26, 2024. The Summer 2024 review period will run from June 17, 2024 - August 9, 2024. 

Preparation Instructions & Submission Form

When preparing to submit your materials you will need to include:

  1. detailed syllabus/course outline showing which sections of the book were covered.

  2. Information about the textbook including the table of contents for the book

  3. course equivalency form (even if your major or college has another paper form, please also complete this online form)

Materials must be submitted using this form 

Additional Information and Frequently Asked Questions

Course Outlines

Course Outlines for Berkeley’s Math 1A, 1B, 10A, 10B, 16A, 16B, 53, 54, and 55 are posted on our website.

Office Hours

If you would like to meet with the equivalency advisor please make sure to use the course outlines linked above to review and compare topics and hours of lecture per topic in advance. Summer 2023 Office Hours are not currently available.

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

My request was fully approved. What do I do now?

The Math Department is only able to provide assessment of courses for major credit. The Admissions office determines unit transferability for non-Berkeley courses so you must submit the transcript from your other institution to them and based on their assessment, you will see courses show up on your Academic Progress Report (APR) in CalCentral and units on your transcript. For more information about transferring courses and receiving credit, check the Registrar's website. Be sure you forward the approval message to your home department so they can update your degree progress. If you have additional questions about how this course equivalency assessment factors into your graduation requirements, please check in with your major and/or college advisors. 

My request was partially approved. What do I do now?

Students with partial credit in lower division mathematics courses may, with consent of instructor, complete the credit by enrolling in Math 49 units. Math 49 is not a course students enroll into via CalCentral. Math 49 allows students to earn supplementary units to complete course material when course equivalency from another institution is only partial. To enroll into these units, you must find an instructor currently teaching the course you are looking to complete and with them, determine your required attendance and coursework, and enroll into units accordingly. To apply to enroll into units, complete the Petition to Enroll into Math 49 Units.

My request was denied. What do I do now?

You could use to find a California Community College course that is already assessed as being an equivalent course or submit a new request for another course to be considered. You could also check in with your major or college to see what other options you may have.

How do I get an upper division course from another institution assessed so I can use it to satisfy a major requirement?

The course equivalency advisor does not assess upper division courses. Math students seeking approval to have an upper division course from another institution count towards a major requirement should consult a Math faculty advisor. Students outside of the Math Department should consult with their home department to identify next steps.