Course Equivalency

Spring 2020 Course Equivalency Instructions

For Non-U.C. Berkeley Lower-Division Mathematics Courses


Students who have taken lower-division Math courses at California community colleges should use to determine the equivalency of their courses to UC Berkeley's lower-division Math courses.

These instructions are for students who have taken lower-division Math courses at other 4-year colleges or at Community colleges outside of California and who 1) are intending to major in Math/Applied Math or 2) who have been asked by their intended major departments to see the Math Department for a course equivalency determination. (Note that the Admissions office determines unit transferability for non-Berkeley courses.)

Please note that course equivalency is determined only while classes are in Session and regular office hours held—not during exams, winter break, or before Summer Session C begins. Summer 2020 course equivalency office hours will begin on Monday, June 22, 2020 and will end on Friday, August 14, 2020. Assessment results may take up to two weeks.

When preparing to submit your materials you will need to include:

  1. A detailed syllabus/course outline showing which sections of the book were covered.

  2. Information about the textbook including the table of contents for the book

  3. A course equivalency form (even if your major or college has another paper form, please also complete this online form)

Materials must be submitted using this form. If you want to meet with the Equivalency Advisor in person, his office hours can be found below.

Course Outlines for Berkeley’s Math 1A, 1B, 10A, 10B, 16A, 16B, 53, 54, and 55 are posted on our website.

You can review and compare topics and hours of lecture per topic with the course you have completed in preparation for meeting the equivalency advisor during the office hours listed below.

 Here are some answers to commonly asked questions:

  • When will the equivalent course show up on my CalCentral/transcript?

The Admissions office determines unit transferability for non-Berkeley courses and based on their assessment, you will see courses show up on your Academic Progress Report (APR) in CalCentral and units on your transcript. For more information about transferring courses and receiving credit, check the Registrar's website. The Math Department is only able to provide assessment of courses for major credit. If you have additional questions about how this course equivalency assessment factors into your graduation requirements, please check in with your major and/or college advisors. 

  • How do I enroll into a Math 49?

Students with partial credit in lower division mathematics courses may, with consent of instructor, complete the credit under this heading. To enroll into these units, you must find an instructor currently teaching the course you are looking to complete and with them, determine your required attendance and coursework and enroll into units accordingly.

  • How do I get an upper division course from another institution assessed so I can use it to satisfy a major requirement?

The course equivalency advisor does not assess upper division courses. Math students seeking approval to have an upper division course from another institution count towards a major requirement should consult a Math faculty advisor. Students outside of the Math Department should consult with their home department to identify next steps.