Course Work and Grading
There are a total of 100 points you can earn toward your
final grade in the course.
We will give no credit for written homework and programming
assignment turned in after the due date and there will be no
make up quizzes and exams.
- There will be weekly homework
and bi-weekly quizzes during the first 9 weeks.
We will only count the best 8 homeworks and best 3
quizzes towards your final grade, with each homework worth 3
points, and each quiz 4 points.
- We will focus on class
projects in the last 5 weeks. Students will be divided
into groups, with each group responsible for their own
project, which will be worth 24 points.
- There will be an in-class midterm exam on March 22,
and a final exm on May 8. The midterm and final is worth 20
points each. In case you have to miss the
midterm exam, your final will be worth 40 points. You fail
the class if you do not take the final exam.
Here are the quiz and exam dates:
- Quiz: Jan. 25 in discussion
- Quiz: Feb. 8 in discussion
- Quiz: Feb. 22 in discussion
- Quiz: Mar. 8 in discussion
- Midterm: Mar. 22 in class
- Project Presentation: Apr. 30, May 2, May 4 in
- Final Exam: Tues., May 8, 11:30AM-2:30PM ( Exam Group 6)
There will be no class performance curve. Your final
letter grade will be determined based on the total number of
points you earn in the class. Below is a list of cut-offs.
- A- to A+: at least 85 points
- B- to B+: between 70 and 85 points
- C- to C+: between 60 and 70 points
- D: between 55 and 60 points
- F: less than 55 points
In general the absolute majority of the class will get A and
B level grades. To get a good grade, make sure you do your
all class work, and prepare
well for your quizzes; your total exam scores (40 points)
alone will only give you an F.
Grades of Incomplete will be granted only for dire medical
or personal emergencies that cause you to miss the final,
and only if your work up to that point has been