Computing Support at UC Berkeley Department of Mathematics
Welcome to the UC Berkeley Department of Mathematics computing support wiki. We hope to provide useful information to all members of our department. In order to do that, we want to enlist your help. Most pages can be edited by anyone who's logged in. Anyone with an email address @math.berkeley.edu or @berkeley.edu may request a wiki account via email@example.com. Feel free to add any computing related help and information.
- The primary support email address for computer, printer and network problems within the department is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Web related questions should be addressed to email@example.com.
- For hardware printer problems only, (including low toner), use firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Campus Shared Services (CSS) IT covers wireless network issues, campus wide outages, support of recently purchased office computers, etc. However, CSS are not familiar with the departmental web, Unix, printing and wired network services.
- There is also a consult mailing list email@example.com for general questions, which is read (and answered) by volunteer faculty knowledgeable about Unix and mathematical software.
Please do not copy more than one of above mentioned addresses on your email. If you happen to send to the wrong address, it will be redirected by someone to the correct one.
Math Computing Cheat Sheet
- Email, web, printing, network and more — all on one page Math Computing Cheat Sheet
CalNet 2-Step Verification
- To enroll, go to CalNet account manager (deadline for faculty and staff April 16, 2018; deadline for students September 24, 2018)
- For self-enrollment instructions, visit https://calnetweb.berkeley.edu/calnet-2-step/enroll-device
- You may email firstname.lastname@example.org for enrollment support issues
- For mor information, see https://calnetweb.berkeley.edu/calnet-2-step
- Also, see our department CalNet 2-Step Tips
Mostly historical pages:
- Migration of CalMail system to bMail (2013)
- Migration of departmental email system to CalMail (2009)
- Setting up email client on your own computer to access your Calmail account (2009)
TeX and LaTeX
Printing and Scanning
- How to print on the department's printers from your laptop
- Printing A4 documents
- How to use the copiers in 958 Evans as scanners
- How to use document scanners in 744 Evans Hall
Math Department Servers
- How to create a homepage
- How to manage files on the math department servers
- How to use remote shell access
- About math software
- How to access to MathSciNet and UC eLinks from home
- How to use slides in the seminar rooms
- How to get a Calnet Identity (Everyone is supposed to have one, and you will need it to set up your bMail account)
- How to post a paper on the arXiv preprint server
- Disk quotas
Suggestions for Future Articles
Please send any ideas to email@example.com.