An excerpt from Słownik Geograficzny (published 1884; page 375)

Translated from Polish by Lawrence Krupnak, East Europe Connection; corrected and augmented by Mariusz Wodzicki

LUBAR - small town, county of Nowogród Wołyński, on Słucz River, in the most fertile region of Wołyń, has 6,902 residents and 1,657 farmers who own 2,343 dziesięcinas of land.1

Established between 1340 and 1382 by Prince Lubart Giedyminowicz, and for that reason, for a long time, it was called Lubartów. Kochowski2 said about this that "Lubarum seu Lubartovia, primo conditori nomen debet a Lubarto conditum".3

Subsequently, Lubar was included within the crown estates and given as a reward for service to the princely House of Lubomirski; from them it passed to the Walewski Family, and presently belongs to Countess Wodzicka née Karwicka.4 Even today, Lubar bears the signs of its past splendor. Post-Basilian walls of the friars’ monastery and the church, which up to 1833 housed once famous schools, second best in Wołyń after the Piarists of Międzyrzecze, today converted into an Orthodox monastery. There remains only a tradition and memories in the chronicles, for presently not even a trace remains of that fortified castle founded in the XIV Century by Prince Lubart; which, nevertheless, must have been fortified adequately to survive the Cossack wars of the XVII Century and to withstand the siege of 1651; whatever befell it later, nothing is known.

The greatest attraction of Lubar even today is the parish church, initially of the Dominican Friars, in a Romanesque style, founded by Prince Stanisław Lubomirski in the XVIII century, rebuilt in stone and consecrated by the Bishop of Kijów and Chernichów, Załuski, in 1765, as the Church of Saint Michael and Saint Jan Nepomucen. In the church is a picture of Christ, famous for miracles, brought to Lubar from Hryniowce (county Zasławiec) in 1754 by Bishop Kajetan Sołtyk. It appears that within this church or monastery there existed once a greater picture gallery, because even today many more paintings can be seen; there are many portraits of various bishops of Chełm, Płock, Łuck; even Poznań, Kraków, Lwów; and from Lithuania; paintings of five popes, many scenes from the Holy Bible and other, symbolic ones; a group of seven pictures, depicting scenes of martyrdom inflicted by the Tartars, particularly attracts attention. Remnants of an obviously once splendid library favorably witness to the intellectual life of the Dominican monks. A small palace of the owners of the estate, in an Italian style, built next to the river on a high ground, ads significant splendor to Lubar; similarly to be noted is one of the larger houses in town, that at one time belonged to Countess Ponińska.

Pałac Wodzickich w Lubarze (Napoleon Orda, 1862-1876)

Palace of the Counts Wodzicki in Lubar, 1862-1876.
A watercolour by Napoleon Orda (1807-1873), 20.5 × 27.7 cm, Muzeum Narodowe, Kraków.

Today, Lubar does not have any factories, except for the Łuczycki Organ and Music Box Works, the Jakubowicz Carriage Workshop, an attractive flour mill on the Słucz River, and a brewery; tradition has it, however, that at one time there were here a cloth manufacture, a hat factory, a wineshop, a book store, that survived until 1855, a printing shop run by the church, public baths with showers and the famous spring waters of the Basilian Friars, which, from the healing point of view, adequately offered the Wołyń region an alternative to other fashionable “spas,” and, during the bathing season, drew to Lubar large crowds of visitors. This estate comprises 6,243 dziesięcinas of land, of which 5,675 dziesięcinas belong to the Count Wodzicki
5 Family, while other small owners control 568 dziesięcinas.

Lubar has a police post and is the county seat, has a post office, a doctor and an apothecary. Moreover, a peace judge and a peace mediator live here. The Lubar Catholic parish of the Żytomierz Diocese has 2,172 souls, an auxiliary church in Wolica Wielka (previously also in Nowa Czartoryja), chapels in Pedyńki, Motowidłówka, Wyszczykusy (previously also in Wygnanka and Seweryny). In 1870, Lubar had 4,922 residents, of whom 54 per cent were Israelites, 893 houses, 8 Orthodox churches, an Eastern Orthodox convent, a church, a synagogue, 6 houses of prayer, 3 tanneries, a brewery, 116 stores, 90 artisans and three trade fairs. See the article about Lubar by Komaszko in the “Vohlynian Province News” 1862.

L. R.

Translator's Footnotes

1  pronounced “dje-shen-chi-nah” - a Polish measure of area; there were two units in use on the territory of Russian partition of Poland, both called dziesięcina: dziesięcina skarbowa (fiscal), equal 1.0925 hectare = 2.7 acres, and dziesięcina duża (great), equal 1.4567 hectare = 3.6 acres. Without consulting the Dictionary itself it is difficult to say which one is meant here.

2  a writer and historian of the 17th Century.

3  a passage in Latin which means “whether Lubar or Lubartów, it owes its name to the name of its first founder, Lubart”.

4  Celestyna Franciszka Anna countess Wodzicka, born 1835 in Mizocz, daughter of Kazimierz Krzysztof Jan count Dunin-Karwicki z Karwic h. Łabędź (1796-1852), and Klementyna countess Rzyszczewska h. Pobóg (1812-1850) [h. = herbu which means: of the coat of arms]. Her maternal grandmother was Celestyna Anna Alina princess Czartoryska on Korzec & Oleksińce (1790-1850).

On 27 Septemeber 1866 she married Alfred count Wodzicki h. Leliwa on Złota, Wawrowice, Morawica & Pełczyk (b. 1839).

Their daughter, Anna (b. 20 July 1867), on 30 April 1889 married in Kraków Antoni count Wodzicki on Niedźwiedź, Konina, Lubomierz, Łętowa, Łostówka, Mszana Górna & Podobin (b. 5 Feb 1862). Her husband was portrayed by leading Polish painters of the time

 Antoni Wodzicki (Stanisław Fałat, 1900)

Antoni Wodzicki, 1900. A watercolour by Stanisław Fałat (1853-1929), 99 × 44 cm, Muzeum Narodowe, Kraków

Antoni Wodzicki (Jacek Malczewski, 1911)

Antoni Wodzicki, 1911. By Jacek Malczewski (1854-1929), oil on canvas, 80 × 60 cm, Muzeum Narodowe, Kraków

 Antoni's father was famous ornithologist, Kazimierz Wodzicki (1816-1889).

5  Alfred Wodzicki (mentioned in pevious footnote).