izKeys “4 scripts + Math + Etc” layouts
Keyboard layouts with mad professor repertoirs designed with scatterbrains in mind
The [ee-zee-keys] layouts allow access to many thousands of
Unicode characters. They have three goals:
- access to Latin/Greek/Cyrillic/Hebrew scripts (including all paleo-flavors!);
- access to symbols of math/technical/linguistic prose (including currency symbols);
- extensive othogonalization of access: with few heuristics, one should be able to guess how to enter a letter (or symbol);
Installation instructions (Windows)
T = Table of layout; H = Heuristics for the base script;
S = Heuristics for script’s satellite layouts.
Four “personalities” differ only in which script is available on alphabet keys. Using keys-modifiers and/or prefix keys,
all personalities allow access to the same repertoir of characters. So: Install only personalities
in which you need to type largish fragments; for shorter fragments, one can either switch to
a different personality, or use (clumsier) approach with modifier/prefix keys.
Access the script’s satellite layouts using the “specific” prefix keys of the base layout.
(The “shared” prefix keys are for cross-personality access, and math/technical/business/linguistic symbols.)
- How to show Unicode characters (on Windows,
one may show them all)
- Visual maps for the layouts, the heuristics, etc
- Main tools: AltGr, and [repeatable!] Prefixes: “mock AltGr”, “Green” and “Ripe”, Compose.
- Mogrifier prefixes (enhanced by “Blue” keys); extra modifiers.
- The goals and the current progress
- Changelog (with sketchy descriptions of features)
- See the T links above for comprehensive tables of the layouts (only for alphanum-island of keyboard)
- One design rationale
(“Currently achieved” goals are for an older version)
and another one
- GOTCHAs for keyboard input on Windows:
for developers (with solutions)
- Cross-personality access, and for-technical-writing layouts. (On “shared” prefix keys, and on special modifier keys.)
- Shortcut access to satellite layouts of other personalities.
- Directory with miscellaneous resources (keyboard icons, sources, older versions), misc. links to the Unicode mailing list