Learning Paths from Signature Tensors (with Max Pfeffer and Bernd Sturmfels), arXiv:1809.01588.
Ranks and Symmetric Ranks of Cubic Surfaces, arXiv:1801.05377.
Tensor clustering with algebraic constraints gives interpretable groups of crosstalk mechanisms in breast cancer (with Mariano Beguerisse-Díaz, Birgit Schoeberl, Mario Niepel and Heather Harrington), arXiv:1612.08116.
Duality of Graphical Models and Tensor Networks (with Elina Robeva), Information and Inference: A Journal of the IMA, iay009, https://doi.org/10.1093/imaiai/iay009.
Mixtures and products in two graphical models (with Guido Montúfar), Journal of Algebraic Statistics, 9 (2018) no. 1, 1-20.
Gram Determinants of Real Binary Tensors, Linear Algebra and its Applications, 544 (2018) 350–369.
Real Rank Two Geometry (with Bernd Sturmfels), Journal of Algebra, 484 (2017), 310–333.
Singular Vectors of Orthogonally Decomposable Tensors (with Elina Robeva), Linear and Multilinear Algebra, 65 (2017) no. 12, 2457-2471.
Eigenconfigurations of Tensors (with Hirotachi Abo and Bernd Sturmfels), Algebraic and Geometric Methods in Discrete Mathematics, Contemporary Mathematics, vol. 685, Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, RI, 2017, 1-25.
Local dynamics of intersections: V. I. Arnold's theorem revisited (with Sergei Yakovenko) Israel Journal of Mathematics, Vol. 201 Issue 2 (2014) 813-833.
The Algebraic Statistics of an Oberwolfach Workshop, Snapshots of modern mathematics from Oberwolfach, 2018 (1).
Applied Algebra and Geometry: A SIAGA of Seven Pictures, also featured as a series of three articles in SIAM news: I, II, III.
I write a blog called Picture this Maths, a joint project with Rachael Boyd at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology. We present mathematical research centered around pictures. We were featured here in the AMS Blog on math blogs.
Iwasawa Theory of Elliptic Curves with Complex Multiplication, Part III essay (master's thesis) supervised by John Coates, Cambridge, Spring 2014.
Conferences and Travel
- SIAM Conference on Applied Algebraic Geometry, Bern, Switzerland, July 2019
- Low-rank Optimization and Applications Workshop, Max Planck Institute for Mathematics in the Sciences, Leipzig, April 2019
- Meeting on Applied Algebraic Geometry, Bristol, December 2018
- Real Algebraic Geometry and Optimization workshop, Nonlinear Algebra Program, ICERM, Fall 2018
- Boltzmann Machines workshop, American Institute of Mathematics (AIM), San Jose, September 2018
- SIAM Annual Meeting, Portland, July 2018
- Berlin-Oxford Meeting on Applied Stochastic Analysis, Berlin, June 2018
- Visit to MPI Leipzig, Germany, June 2018
- SIAM Conference on Applied Linear Algebra, Hong Kong, May 2018
- AMS Special Session on Algebraic Statistics, Northeastern University, April 2018
- Joint Mathematics Meetings, San Diego, January 2018
- SIAM AG Conference, Georgia Tech, July 2017
- Tensors CBMS Conference, Auburn University, Alabama, July 2017
- Interactions between algebra and the sciences, MPI Leipzig, Germany, May 2017. Co-organized with Jacinta Torres.
- Algebraic Statistics Workshop, Oberwolfach, Germany, April 2017
- 'Tensors: Algebra meets Numerics', MPI Leipzig, Germany, December 2016
- MPI Leipzig, Germany, September-October 2016
- SIAM Annual Meeting (AN16) in Boston, July 2016
- Macaulay2 Workshop in Warwick, UK, May 2016
- AMS special session on "Combinatorial and Computational Commutative Algebra and Algebraic Geometry", Salt Lake City, April 2016
- Workshop on Tensor Decomositions and Applications, Leuven, Belgium, January 2016
- Joint Mathematics Meetings, Seattle, January 2016
- 'Algorithms and Complexity in Algebraic Geometry' Reunion Workshop, Simons Institute, Berkeley, December 2015
- Visit to Microsoft Research New England, Boston, November 2015
- Summer Graduate School on Mathematical Topics in Systems Biology, organized by the Altchuler-Wu Lab, MSRI, Berkeley, July 2015
- Mathematical Institute, Oxford, UK, June 2015
- Workshop on Non-Linear Algebra, Berlin, Germany, May 2015
- Department of Mathematics, Texas A&M University, May 2015
- Western Algebraic Geometry Symposium, University of Idaho, October 2014
- 'Algorithms and Complexity in Algebraic Geometry' program at the Simons Institute, Berkeley, Fall 2014
Summer 2018: I organized, with Elina Robeva, a mini-symposium at the SIAM Annual meeting "Theoretical Challenges of Tensor Decomposition".
Summer 2018: I organized, with Andre Uschmajew and Bart Vandereycken, a mini-symposium in the SIAM Conference in Applied Linear Algebra, called "Tensors and Multilinear Algebra".
Fall 2016: I co-organized a tensors reading group Foundational Tensor Theory with Rocky Foster.
Fall 2015: I organized a Commutative Algebra reading group.
Summer 2013: I did a research project at Imperial College, London under the supervision of Mike Levin. We analysed biological pathways associated with susceptibility to inflammatory diseases.
Summer 2012: I attended the Kupcinet-Getz Program at the Weizmann Institute in Israel. I worked with Sergei Yakovenko on algebraic properties of local dynamics of intersections. We published a paper, see above.
- The Emmy Noether Society: a student society dedicated to the promotion of women in the mathematical sciences at Cambridge, set up by Zoe Wyatt and me in 2012. The Mirzakhani Society at Oxford has now joined the family too.
- The Noetherian Ring website, for women in mathematics at UC Berkeley
- "Imagining things: What do you think about, when you think about maths?" A mini documentary about mathematical thinking, directed by Richard Braham and me in Cambridge in 2013.
Spring 2018: GSI for Math 10B with Prof. Kelli Talaska.
Spring 2017: Head GSI for Math 10B with Prof. Craig Evans. A fun worksheet I made for the last class of the semester.
Spring 2016: I organized a Mathematical Biology reading group for a group of Berkeley undergraduate students.
Fall 2015: GSI for Math 10A with Prof. Richard Bamler.
For more information on my teaching experience, see my teaching statement.