I am an NSERC Postdoctoral Fellow in the Department of Mathematics at the University of California, Berkeley. My postdoctoral mentor is Bernd Sturmfels.
ContactEmail: martin.helmer at berkeley.edu
966 Evans Hall
- My primary interest is to construct computational and theoretic tools to aid in understanding algebraic geometry and its applications. Broadly I am interested in algebraic geometry (theoretical, computational, and applied) and in related topics in computer algebra. I am particularly interested in practical methods in intersection theory, polynomial system solving and combinatorial algebraic geometry.
- Martin Helmer. Computing characteristic classes of subschemes of smooth toric varieties. (2017). To appear in the Journal of Algebra.
- Martin Helmer and Bernd Sturmfels. Nearest Points on Toric Varieties (2016). To appear in Mathematica Scandinavica. Software page.
- Martin Helmer (with Appendix by Martin Helmer and Éric Schost). A Direct Algorithm to Compute the Topological Euler Characteristic and Chern-Schwartz-MacPherson Class of Projective Complete Intersection Varieties (2016). To appear in a Special Issue of the Journal of Theoretical Computer Science.
- Martin Helmer. Algorithms to compute the topological Euler characteristic, Chern-Schwartz-Macpherson class and Segre class of projective varieties. Journal of Symbolic Computation, 73, page 120-138, 2016.
- PL Buono, Martin Helmer, and Jeroen SW Lamb. On the zero set of G-equivariant maps. In Mathematical Proceedings of the Cambridge Philosophical Society, volume 147, page 735. Cambridge Univ. Press, 2009.
Refereed Conference Proceedings
- Martin Helmer. Computing the Chern-Schwartz-MacPherson Class of Complete Simplical Toric Varieties. (2017). To appear in Springer Proceedings in Mathematics & Statistics (ACA 2015).
- Martin Helmer. An algorithm to compute certain Euler characteristics and Chern-Schwartz-MacPherson classes. In Proceedings of the 2014 Symposium on Symbolic-Numeric Computation, pp. 130-131. ACM, 2014.
- Ramiro Liscano, John Khalil Jacoub, Anand Dersingh, Jinfu Zheng, Martin Helmer, Charles Elliott, and Ali Najafizadeh. Network performance of a wireless sensor network for temperature monitoring in vineyards. In Proceedings of the 8th ACM Symposium on Performance evaluation of wireless ad hoc, sensor, and ubiquitous networks, pp. 125-130. ACM, 2011.
- James Fullwood and Martin Helmer. On a projective bundle formula. (2016). arXiv preprint arXiv:1603.03553.
- EDPolytope: A Macaulay2 software package to compute the Euclidean Distance Degree, the polar degrees, and the Chern-Mather class of a projective toric variety using combinatorial methods.
- CharacteristicClasses: A Macaulay2 built-in software package coauthored with Christine Jost. The package computes the Segre class, Chern-Schwartz-MacPherson class and Euler characteristic of a given subscheme of certain smooth toric varieties.
- char-class-calc: A Sage program to compute the Segre class, Chern-Schwartz-MacPherson class and Euler characteristic of a projective variety.
These and other software projects can also be found on my github page https://github.com/Martin-Helmer.
- Fields Institute Thematic Program on Computer Algebra. Workshop on Algebra, Geometry and Proofs in Symbolic Computation. December 7, 2015. Fields Institute, Toronto, Canada. Algorithms to Compute Characteristic Classes of Subschemes of Certain Toric Varieties. Slides. Video of the talk.
- SIAM Conference on Applied Algebraic Geometry. August 3-7, 2015. National Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Daejeon, Korea. Talk Slides (Titled "Algorithms to Compute Chern-Schwartz-Macpherson and Segre Classes and the Euler Characteristic") . Conference webpage.
- ACA 2015 Conference (Applications of Computer Algebra). July 20-23, 2015 Kalamata, Greece. Talk Slides (Titled "Computing the Chern-Schwartz-MacPherson Class of a Complete Simplicial Toric Variety") . Conference webpage.
- SNC 2014 Conference (Symbolic-Numeric Computation Conference). July 28-31, 2014 East China Normal University. Shanghai, China. Talk Slides (Titled "An Algorithm to Compute Certain Euler Characteristics and Chern-Schwartz-MacPherson Classes") . Conference webpage.
- ACA 2014 Conference (Applications of Computer Algebra). July 9-12, 2014 Fordham University. New York, New York. Talk Slides (Titled "Algorithms to Compute Chern-Schwartz-Macpherson and Segre Classes and the Euler Characteristic") . Conference webpage.
- ECCAD 2014, (April 26, 2014, Duke University, Durham, NC). Poster .
- Ph.D Applied Mathematics, University of Western Ontario, Canada. (2011-2015)
- M.Sc Mathematics, Queen's University, Canada. (2009-2011)
- B.Sc Applied Mathematics, University of Ontario Institute of Technology, Canada. (2005-2009)
- A pdf of my C.V. can be found here.
University of California, Berkeley:
- Spring 2017
- Fall 2016
- Spring 2016
University of Western Ontario:
- Teaching Assistant for AM2415, Applied Maths for Electrical and Software Eng. (2014): AM2415 tutorial blog
- Teaching Assistant for AM2413, App. Math. and Numerical Methods for Mechanical Eng. (2013-2014): AM2413 tutorial blog
- Teaching Assistant for AM1413, Applied Mathematics for Engineers (2013): AM1413 tutorial blog
- Teaching Assistant for AM1411, Linear Algebra for Engineers (2013)
Queen's University (Kingston, Canada):
- Electronic learning resources in Sage for APSC 172, Calculus (2011): Electronic learning resource website
- Teaching Assistant for MATH 224, Applied Math for Civil Eng. (2010-2011)