Math 1B, Fall 2015
This is the homepage for the Fall 2015 Math 1B discussion sections 105 and 109.
Instructor: Kyle Miller
E-mail: kmill at math.berkeley.edu
For 105, MWF 10-11 am in 9 Evans
For 109, MWF 12-1 pm in 85 Evans
Office hours: T 2-3pm, Th 1-2pm in 1066 Evans, or by appointment. For RRR week, office hours are T and Th, 1-4pm. There is also a review session on Wednesday, December 9th, noon-2pm, in 3 Evans.
- Midterm 1 (20%) is Monday, September 21.
- Midterm 2 (20%) is Monday, October 26.
- Final Exam (45%) is Monday, December 14, 11:30-2:30.
Update: second midterm has been dropped. Rather than per cent, the grades are now per octogesimus (that is, out of eighty).
The department publishes worksheets on the Lower Division Course Outlines page, Math 1B Worksheet (pdf).
- Aug 31. Solution to 11.1 problem 90
- Aug 31. Solution to 11.1 problem 91
- Sep 2. Note about the sum of convergent and divergent series
- Sep 14. Note about a series from lecture
- Sep 14. Note about the “log test”
- Sep 18. Midterm 1 Review
- Sep 19. Note about a series from lecture (update)
- Sep 23. Note about uniqueness of a solution in 11.9
- Sep 28. The Most Common Errors in Undergraduate Mathematics (external). For getting some mathematical maturity, consider looking at A Concise Introduction to Pure Mathematics by Liebeck (I have a copy if you want to look at it).
- Oct 12. Examples of numeric integration on a computer
- Oct 21. Hydrostatic pressure in a cylindrical tank
- Oct 23. Midterm 2 Review
- Oct 28. Midterm 2 Solutions
- Oct 30. Spring cart
- Nov 4. Terminal velocity of a water droplet
- Nov 21. Homogeneous linear differential equations with constant coefficients
- Dec 8. Final exam review