The Undergraduate Program
These pages describe our undergraduate program in Mathematics.
- Minoring in Math is a list of required courses and how to declare.
- Majoring in Math is a short but fairly detailed description of our program.
- Major in Mathematics is a list of required courses for the pure mathematics major.
- Major in Applied Mathematics is a list of required courses for the applied mathematics major.
- Major with a Teaching Concentration is a list of required courses for the mathematics with teaching concentration major.
Other opportunities for involvement with mathematics are
- MUSA, the Mathematics Undergraduate Student Association;
- WIM, a network of undergraduate Women In Math at Cal;
- The Putnam Competition, a nationwide mathematics competition.
Quantitative Reasoning (QR) Exam
The Quantitative Reasoning (QR) Exam is given the Wednesday of the first
week of instruction of each semester. Please see the “Announcements”
and/or “Calendar” on the Mathematics Department homepage for exact date,
time and location as that information becomes available.
Receipt of a minimum score of 26 (out of 60) on this exam will fulfill the QR requirement of the College of Letters & Science. This multiple-choice exam covers precalculus topics ranging from rational expressions, exponents & radicals, linear equations, inequalities, absolute values, polynomials, functions, trigonometry, geometry, to logarithmic & exponential functions. A handout with sample questions is available from the Mathematics Department in 970 Evans Hall.
To download PDF files of a sample question set and solutions click on the corresponding link at the bottom of this page..
For additional information on the College of Letters & Science Quantitative Reasoning requirement visit http://ls-advise.berkeley.edu/requirements/qr.html.
Our undergraduate calendar shows important dates in the coming semester for undergraduate students.
Undergraduate Information Mailing List
You can subscribe here to the Math Department's Mailing List for Undergraduates. The subscriber list is confidential, volume is low, and all messages include instructions on how to unsubscribe.