We use the TeX Live distribution of TeX and related files. The version currently in use is the 2010 version, with some later changes (hence it identifies itself as "2011-dev"). You can browse local documentation on TeX Live and its packages by going to either /local/depot/texlive-2010 or /local/depot/4/texlive-2010 (depending on where you are logged in). Files of particular interest to beginners include:
- The Not So Short Introduction to LaTeX2e—an introduction to the LaTeX language
- LaTeX tips
- Table of Mathematical Symbols
More good starting points for TeX and LaTeX information are:
- TeX Users Group Home Page The best online information about TeX. It indexes useful information if you don't know what TeX is, if you want to learn TeX and/or LaTeX, or if you've been using them for years. In particular, see their web page on help and documentation. They also run one of the main sites of the Comprehensive TeX Archive Network.
- TeX Live Home Page.
- LaTeX home page.
- Donald E. Knuth's home page.
- Free math fonts for TeX and LaTeX
Some WikiBooks are also available for TeX:
Links to special topics on TeX include:
- Writing your thesis in TeX: the ucbthesis document class
- Writing letters in TeX: the ucbletter document class
- Using TeX to create pdf files
- Spell-checking TeX files
- Installing local macro packages (e.g., ucbthesis or ucbletter) on your machine at home
- Adding Fonts to TeX and Adding Macro Packages to TeX (on the math department network)
- Adding Fonts to XeTeX
- Converting From LaTeX 2.09 to LaTeX 2e
Some TeX samples are available:
|latex||Writing a thesis in LaTeX (same as the above link)|
|latex||Writing a letter or memo in LaTeX|
|tex and amstex||latex||A sample MetaPost document, with a label|
|tex and amstex||latex||A sample embedded MetaPost figure|
|tex||amstex||latex||Using Ralph Smith's Formal Script (rsfs) fonts for nicer script characters|
|amstex||latex||Using Cyrillic text|
|amstex||latex||Using Cyrillic symbols|
|latex||Using Romanian characters|
|amstex||latex||Bold Greek letters|